Sorry! Page Not Found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try using our search box below to look for information on the internet.

Public Liability Insurance for Stallholders

It is a requirement of the Ballarat Market’s (BM) insurer that all stallholders have public liability insurance.   This requirement is common at most markets and is, in the BM's opinion, good business practice. All stallholders will now have some insurance protection if an incident occurs that is attributable to activities on their site(s). Many of the regular stall holders will already have this insurance and so there will not be an extra cost just some paperwork to complete.

Last year is was floated that this was needed and a price of $6 per day pet site was floated for casual PL insurance.

The BM has decided to cover some of the costs. The price for Public liability insurance will be $5 per site/day for casual site holders. For booked sites there are two options. Firstly, you can pay $5 per day /site as per a casual site booking or if you have or wish to get your own public liability insurance you need to supply a certificate of currency for public liability insurance to the BM. If this certificate is supplied, then a charge for PL insurance will not be levied and the coverage available through the BM insurers will not apply.  

It has taken a while to get the policies in place and the commencement date for all stallholders to have Public Liability Insurance is 1st April 2019(Delayed due to administrative issues from 01/03/2019). If a stall holder with a booked site has pre-existing public liability insurance, with the appropriate cover, the application form will need to be completed and a certificate of currency for the policy attached.  Any stallholder who does not have a policy and wishes to get their own can find more information at or at one of many other insurance providers.

Food service, amusements and any other activity not coverable by the BM stallholder public liability policy.  

The PL coverage offered by the market does not apply to these types of activities.   All food sellers, childrens rides and amusement and any other high risk activity as deemed by the BM must have their own public liabiity policy.  The application form and other documents can be found here.

A useful discussion about stall holder insurance can be found on the Australian Government's Business website page:
Liability insurance and professional indemnity

Any questions? Phone or email us and we will be pleased to help.