Please enter the email address associated with your User account. Your username will be emailed to the email address on file.

Public Liability Insurance for Stallholders

It is a requirement of the Ballarat Market’s (BM) insurer that all stallholders have public liability insurance.   This requirement is common at most markets and is, in the BM's opinion, good business practice. All stallholders will now have some insurance protection if an incident occurs that is attributable to activities on their site(s). Many of the regular stall holders will already have this insurance and so there will not be an extra cost just some paperwork to complete.

The price for Public liability insurance will be $5 per site/day for site holders who do not have their own Public Liability Insurance Policy. If a stallholder has their own public liability insurance you need to supply a certificate of currency for public liability insurance to the BM. If this certificate is supplied and the coverage is at least $10,000,000 then a charge for PL insurance will not be levied and the coverage available through the BM insurers will not apply. 

If a stall holder with a booked site has pre-existing public liability insurance, with the appropriate cover, the application form will need to be completed and a certificate of currency for the policy attached.  Any stallholder who does not have a policy and wishes to get their own can find more information at or at one of many other insurance providers.

Food service, amusements and any other activity not coverable by the BM stallholder public liability policy.  

The PL coverage offered by the market does not apply to these types of activities.   All food sellers, childrens rides and amusement and any other high risk activity as deemed by the BM must have their own public liabiity policy.  The application form and other documents can be found here.

A useful discussion about stall holder insurance can be found on the Australian Government's Business website page:
Liability insurance and professional indemnity

Any questions? Phone or email us and we will be pleased to help.